Happy Fall everyone. Enjoy the beauty that is all around us at this time as we enter a period of new Change. It has been awhile since I communicated with you via my monthly Blogs. In March, Change (here I am in this Blog personifying change) came into my life while on vacation in Arizona resulting in a shatter/broken right ankle. Change had some big plans for me as I went from month to month with a slow recovery not realizing at the time that I would end up mastering the art of Patience and finding tremendous Balance in my life.
As I lay waiting to be brought home for surgery, I called/texted severing all links with any business commitments that demanded my time and attention, anything that would distract me from the healing process that lay ahead. I realized Change was with me to stay. I felt that I would be laid up for 3 months. Little did I know that six months to a year was more realistic for healing my ankle injury. I had no idea what I was about to experience, however I was mentally and emotionally ready and I knew I was about to embark on a journey directed by Change. I felt as if an adventure was about to begin. I had no negative emotions whatever regarding my condition and I felt as if unseen forces were supporting me.
Three days after my accident I was on a stretcher flying home flat on my back in the most fabulous private plane, a White Lear Jet. I was told this was the plane of choice for the rich and the famous. Coming home, I was accompanied by 2 medical personnel and the Jet was piloted by a former Air Force female Captain along with her male co-pilot. We were flying 4,000 feet above commercial flights and arrived in Toronto at 6 a.m. It was valet service all the way. We parked in a special hanger at the airport where an ambulance and 2 attendants along with my personal medical team took me straight to my hospital for surgery. All this thanks to my travel insurance. Do not leave home without it folks!
Having a shattered right ankle with plates and screws does not allow one to carry on their normal day to day life. In fact the change from very active to inactive was huge. I was used to fill every hour of every day with “Do-ing”. Here I was now just Be-ing and I must admit, enjoying it! For 3 months my waking and sleeping position was flat on my back with my right leg/foot in a cast elevated 24/7 and having to depend on someone else for my daily needs. All my life if I needed something done I would do it myself rather than ask someone else and also I disliked injections. Well, my friend Change, changed all that because I had to learn to give myself daily injections to prevent blood clots and rely on others for my every need. That was a major Change!
This Change came at a time when I felt I was at the pinnacle of my life. Change made me look within and the answers were profound. Here are some:
- Change had been knocking on my door for a long time. The universe was trying to get my attention. However, I felt so secure in my day-to-day status quo life I ignored the signs.
- If you don’t “listen” to the little voice within to change direction, the universe will give you a swift kick in the rear to get your attention! WOW!
- Always listen to your heart – not your head. Your heart knows what is best for you!
“Heart is truth and head is doubt!”
- When Change knocks, even if what is being presented seems financially unstable or unsafe, know that doors will open and opportunities will flow your way that you never imagined!
- Learn to say NO gracefully and with a smile. People will respect your decisions and feel safe around you.
- Doing nothing is not a crime! In fact that is when your heart gets your attention, speaks to you and puts you on a major highway (of life) when previously you may have been on a side street.
- Speak your truth. Be compassionate and kind always. In doing so, you give others permission to do the same.
Anatole France said “All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.” What I thought would have been so hard to let go of, was done for me with a broken ankle. That is why I love Change and welcome it into my life. It is not always joyful, however it always leaves a precious gift.
Seasons change! We never hear of summer refusing to change, not allowing autumn to show off her glorious colours. As humans we too must look forward to change with a positive outlook knowing that Change is there to show us what we can become. Change steers us towards the bigger picture, thus helping us to reach our potential. I would love to hear how positive change changed your life.